Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, March 27, 2015

Asian Popcorn Chicken Recipe

Back in my UCSD days, late night study sessions were not complete without boba tea and spicy chicken from Tapioca Express. To this day, I can't eat this snack without thinking about all the good times I had in college. When I stumbled across this recipe for Asian Popcorn Chicken on Rasa Malaysia I knew I had to try to make it. This recipe is on point and filled my belly with nostalgia like you wouldn't believe. Rasa Malaysia makes cooking quality Asian food less scary and is my go to place when I am craving Asian food. 

Asian Popcorn Chicken (serves 2)

Ingredients
8-10 oz chicken thighs, cut into bite-size cubes
2 stalks Thai basil leaves
1 cup cornstarch
Oil for frying
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Marinade
2 cloves garlic
1 inch piece of ginger, minced
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper

Instructions
1. Combine marinade ingredients in large bowl and stir to combine. Add chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in pan. Dredge chicken in cornstarch evenly and shake off excess. Deep fry the chicken until it turns golden brown. Remove from oil and drain excess oil by laying chicken on wire rack lined with paper towels.
3. Quickly flash fry basil leaves in the same oil you used for the chicken. Remove from oil and drain excess oil by laying leaves on wire rack lined with paper towels.

I served the chicken with white rice, steamed brocolli and carrots and a side of sweet and sour dipping sauce which can easily be found at any Asian grocery store. Enjoy!


[Asian popcorn chicken]

No comments :

Post a Comment